Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
By mid-2019, a severe escalation of the violence between the non-state armed groups and the military resulted in mass displacements, with more than 750,000 IDPs across the northern Cabo Delgado Province in early 2022. In parallel, the government’s Reconstruction Plan for the province, targeting areas cleared by security forces and in need of infrastructure investments, has been incentivising the gradual return of thousands.
While the scale of the humanitarian response to conflict and displacement in Cabo Delgado has been on the increase since mid-2020, it remains insufficient to address affected populations’ needs – both displaced and returnees. The conflict has destroyed livelihoods, disrupted markets, and essential services across the hardest-hit districts, and access to most districts classified as in need of WASH humanitarian assistance.
ACTED was officially registered in Mozambique in 2022, contributing to the humanitarian capacity in country with its expertise in CCCM and WASH in particular. In addition to the provision of coordination capacity for the CCCM cluster in Pemba (now concluded), the organisation is initiating in Sept. the implementation of a project aiming to assist returnees in the province of Cabo Delgado with better access to essential WASH services. Our objective is to contribute to stabilization efforts by targeting areas within Cabo Delgado province where return rates are high so as to provide returnees, host communities and possible IDPs with sustained and durable WASH assistance. In parallel to rolling out its humanitarian operations, ACTED will be setting up its organisational capacity in Mozambique to enable the development of its team and response.
You will be in charge of
The Project Manager, under operational guidance of the Area Coordinator and technical guidance of the Technical Program Coordinator, is responsible for ensuring proper implementation of ACTED’s project. The Project Manager oversees field operations and ensures effective and timely completion of activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries. The Project Manager supervises the project staff in day to day management of all aspects of the project and liaises with relevant internal departments and external partners and project stakeholders.
- Develop overall project implementation strategy, systems, approaches, tools, and materials;
Project Implementation Follow-up
- Oversee and manage the implementation of the project ensuring that technical quality and standards are considered and respected during project(s) implementation;
Administration and Operational Management of Project Implementation
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation;
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team member.
Expected skills and qualifications
- At least two years of field experience in program management and coordination
- Knowledge of the aid system and ability to understand donor and government systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and manage a team
- Ability to work independently and creatively in the field and in capital
- Teamwork and team-building skills
- Strong ability to work in a cross-cultural context
- Ability to work under pressure
Terms of reference For more information about the position, click here .
- Salary between 2500 and 2600€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 3-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (email@example.com) or below, including the reference: PM WASH/MOZ
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.