Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard-to-reach areas. With a team of 5,900 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 38 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year, reaching over 20 million beneficiaries.
ACTED Horn of Africa
ACTED is supporting man-made and natural disasters-affected populations in the Horn of Africa by delivering emergency aid and strengthening their resilience. Projects are designed according to the populations’ needs and include activities related to water, sanitation and hygiene, food security and livelihoods, lifesaving cash transfer programmes, camp coordination and camp management, as well as shelter and non-food items activities.
You will be based in Mogadishu with frequent travels (more than 50% of your working time) in Baidoa, Kismayo, Hargeisa & Badhan.
You will be in charge of
1. Internal Audit management
Implement the approved national internal audit plan: conduct and supervise internal audit missions through a risk management approach
- Audit Plan: Draft, implement and update the country audit plan (including IP Due diligences);
- Conduct country Internal audit missions: plan, organize and conduct country/area audit missions according to the Country Audit Plan and the ACTED internal audit methodology;
- Review and approve the country/area internal audit missions conducted by the area / country audit and compliance team;
- Contribute in managing Implementing Partners relationship on compliance and audit aspects such as due diligences, mitigation plan follow-up;
- Suggest measures for mitigating such risks to the CD, discuss the main findings and recommendations with the CD during the mission; draft an action plan (AUD-04B) to be discussed with the CD during the debriefing session;
- Audit report: send the audit reports (AUD-04A) after regional and/or HQ approval;
- Ensure the recommendation follow-up and actively participate in their implementation.
Control the implementation of the ACTED standard guidelines and FLAT System at the capital, area and partner’s levels
- Control the monthly flow of documentation from the Areas and Partners to the Capital office; Review documentation compliance level on a random basis ;
- Supervise the National Compliance Officer in compiling, filing and checking all project related financial, logistics, administrative, HR, and programme information (including documentation from the areas and the partners) in the designated project Compliance FLATS folder on a monthly basis (FLA 01 and FLA 03);
- Support the Compliance Team in identifying the compliance issues by filling the compliance checklists (FLA 02);
- Link with the other departments, share the compliance issues identified and the action plan to mitigate the risk. Ensure the follow-up of the action plan (AUD 04B).
- Issue and/or review the Monthly Compliance Report (FLA 04) and the Audit TITANIC drafted by the Compliance Officer, obtain the Country Director review and approval and send it to HQ and Regional audit teams.
Control the compliance with country rules and regulations
- Support upon request the Country Director and/or the HQ Audit Director in litigation cases (staff, suppliers, etc.) follow-up;
- National and local legislation follow-up: in link with the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director, make sure that the national and local legislation is well followed (tax exemption, social security, labour law etc.);
- Tax/VAT exemption follow-up: in link with the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director, make sure that ACTED complies with tax laws and that tax/VAT exemptions are requested in a timely manner.
Provide support to mitigate the high risks identified
- Provide technical support to the Finance, Logistics, Admin, Audit and Programme departments and participate to the action plan implementation to mitigate the risks identified in 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 upon request of the Country Director and / or the HQ Audit, Legal and Transparency Director.
2. External audit : ensure the external audit and the due diligences preparation and follow up
- Ensure the preparation of external audits and due diligences in close collaboration with the HQ Audit Department, the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director;
- Review and approve the draft of the External Audit preparation (AUD-01) and ensure the update of Project, FLAT & External Audit Follow-up (AUD-00) by the Compliance Officer;
- Train the implementing partners / country/area staff to the external audit preparation;
- Contribute, in line with the Country Finance Manager in managing external audit preparation related to Implementing Partners expenses.
- In close relation with the Country Director and the Country Finance Manager, facilitate and coordinate the audit, organize the kick off and close out meetings of each external audit;
- Draft ACTED Management responses to the audit report, to be approved by the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director first and then by the HQ Audit Department. Follow-up the reception of the signed audit report;
- Ensure the update of the External Audit Recommendations follow up (AUD-02) and ensure implementation of the recommendations from external audits;
- When relevant to a project or mission registration, provide technical support to select external audit companies.
3. Training sessions / lessons learn / best practices
Capacity building and Training
- Provide practical training on specific areas of ACTED procedures;
- Coach, train, and mentor Compliance staff in the country.
- Contribute to proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through audit activities (internal and external audits) among international and national staff;
- Participate in kick-off /closure meetings to share lesson learnt from previous audit and highlight donor guidelines.
- Reinforce current procedures and the quality of ACTED internal control, based on international best practices, donors’ requirements and results of internal & external audits;
- Upon request from the Audit Director, participate to the drafting of specific policies.
4. Transparency/Compliance Management
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATS procedures, ACTED Code of Conduct and ACTED Anti-Fraud Policy;
- Upon request of the Country Director and/or the Audit Director, coordinate Fraud cases investigations;
- Ensure the Fraud Register (FRA-04) is well maintained and updated;
- Actively promote ACTED’s anti-fraud and whistle blowing policy within all ACTED offices in country.
5. Team Leadership
- Update the organization chart and ToRs of the Compliance team according to the mission development;
- Plan & conduct Audit and Compliance recruitments & appraisals; train & build capacities of the Compliance staff in country; identify staff with potential, and contribute to internal mobility strategy;
- Ensure training and capacity building for the Compliance team members in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills within the department
- Actively participate in country level coordination meetings by reporting on progress, and risks.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to coordination and other team members;
- Warn the Country Director and HQ in case some major problems arise with a potential financial or reputational impact on the mission.
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Postgraduate diploma in Audit, Finance, International Relations, Law or in relation with the position
- 3-4 years of previous work experience in Audit (external and/or internal), Finance, Logistics, Administration orLaw
- Previous experience in the aid & development sector is an asset
- Proven capabilities in leadership and management required
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and organizational terms
- Demonstrate flexibility, dynamism and autonomy
- Ability to work well and under pressure
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Previous experience abroad is an asset
- Salary between 2900 and 3100€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- R&R every 3 months, flight tickets covered up to $500 and allowance of $200
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 3-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Please note that ACTED does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or below, including the reference: T&CM/SOM
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.