Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 38 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 20 million beneficiaries.
ACTED Democratic Republic of the Congo
ACTED has been working in the Democratic Republic of Congo since 2003 to respond to humanitarian needs throughout the country. ACTED teams intervene in emergency situations towards the most vulnerable populations and displaced people in order to meet their basic needs. The NGO goes beyond emergency aid and implements long-term activities such as rehabilitation works, agricultural recovery projects or the geographic information systems. Through these, ACTED seeks to strengthen the resilience of populations and to support the structuring of civil society.
You will be in charge of
1. Project Implementation Follow-up
- Ensure timely organization of project kick-off and close-out meetings
- Ensure that all projects have an implementation strategy and work plan
- Together with Area Coordinators and Project Managers, plan the various stages of project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives
Project Implementation Follow-up
- Oversee the implementation of projects ensuring that technical requirements and quality standards are considered and respected during project implementation
- Anticipate and mitigate risks and implementation delays and provide ad-hoc support to project implementation through trouble shooting and eliminating blocking points
- Monitor output achievement, cash burn rates and ensure a timely completion of projects through review of PMFs, BFUs and project reports
- Ensure that contractual obligations are met in terms of project deliverables
Project Quality Control
- Ensure the application of a practical field based M&E system/plan for each project
- Conduct frequent field visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources
- Advise Area Coordinators and Project Managers to adapt projects according to monitoring and evaluation findings
- Advise on and assist with project reviews conducted by AMEU
- Together with the AMEU team, ensure capitalisation of best practices and lessons learnt for projects in the area of operations
- Support the Project Managers to regularly review partnerships with implementing partners and ensure that any issues or disputes are resolved in a timely manner.
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with ACTED and donor requirements
- Lead review meetings with partners, with particular attention given to the relationship aspects of partnership collaboration
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with local authorities and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for ACTED’s activities
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project implementation
- Ensure that at all times contact with beneficiaries is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner
2. Administrative and Operational Management of Project Implementation
- Review the BFU(s) to avoid under/over spending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and expense planning
- Contribute to the development of project procurement plans
- Contribute to quality checks and procurement committees to finalise suppliers’ selection according to applicable scenario
- Ensure timely procurement and adherence to rules of origin and nationality
- Participate in the transparent and timely recruitment of project staff (developing organigrams, ToRs, elaborating recruitment tests)
- Proactively support Project Managers and Area Coordinators to adapt the project staffing structure to needs and funding
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management of project teams in link with CD.
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics
- Manage interpersonal conflicts
- Ensure capacity building among project staff
- Ensure project records and documents (FLAT files, beneficiary lists, donation certificates, attendance sheets etc.) are adequately prepared, compiled and filed according to ACTED procedures
- Ensure staff awareness and respect of ACTED’s code of conduct and FLATS procedures
- Together with the Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context specific MOSS and SOPs
- Ensure that project teams are aware of security threats and follow ACTED security policies, MOSS and SOPs accordingly
- Support the FLATS team and Project Managers to ensure adherence to ACTED’s policies and procedure, arranging training and induction as required
- Ensure that all budgetary issues between ACTED and partners are addressed and that mutually beneficial solutions are agreed upon in a timely manner
- In collaboration with the FLATS team, review due diligence of partners or conduct new due diligence and develop appropriate time bound organisational development workplans
- Oversee the development of capacity building framework and action plans with full participation of partners
- Ensure partners provide all project documents required by ACTED and its donors in a timely manner and according to ACTED standards.
Expected skills and qualifications
- At least 4 to 5 years of working experience in insecure environments; preferably in Africa, Asia, or the Middle East
- Demonstrated communication and organizational skills
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments
- Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basic conditions
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office
- Advanced proficiency in written and spoken English
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (email@example.com) or below, including the reference: DCD Ops / RDC
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.