Created in 1993, Acted is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, Acted implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
Acted goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, Acted puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Democratic Republic has the Congo is still affected by the consequences of decades of civil war. In precarios situation, IDPs suffer from chronical food insecurity and/or diseases linked ot lack of access to water, hygiene and sanitation. Since 2003, Acted acts mainly to respond to emergencies, reinforce the population’s resilience, co-creating an effective governance and promoting an inclusive and sustainble growth. Intervening mostly in the areas of South Kivu, Tanganyika and North with projects financed by BHA (Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance), FH (Fond Humanitaire), ECHO (European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations) and FCDO (Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office), Acted brings a flexible and adapted emergency response to the complex and acute humanitarian crisis by assisting the most vulnerable populations. With projects ongoing in these several areas, Acted seeks to response to their basic needs in terms of accommodation (shelter), food security, NFIs or access to water while ensuring the promotion of a protective environment.
You will be in charge of
The Area Coordinator is responsible for representing Acted`s interests with local authorities, donors, beneficiary communities and other key stakeholders. The Area Coordinator is member of the senior management team and works to ensure program quality and operational implementation, as well as growth where appropriate and feasible, and strong representation. The Area Coordinator directly supervises Project Managers ensuring that projects and programs address beneficiary needs and are implemented according to Acted’s global strategy, donor guidelines, approved work plans and budgets The Area Coordinator also oversees day-to-day operations and security in the respective area.
- Context analysis
- Strategy Implementation
- Networking, positioning and general representation:
- Proposal development
- Promotion of ACTED network
Management and Internal Coordination
- Staff Management
- Internal Coordination
Project Implementation Follow-up
- Project Implementation Tracking
- Project Quality Control
- Partner Management
- Finance Management
- Logistics & IT Management
- Administration and HR Management
- Transparency/Compliance Management
- Security Management
Expected skills and qualifications
- University education in a relevant field such as international development, emergency operations, humanitarian programming, technical degree in camp management, or the like;
- Extensive project management experience in emergency and/or development programmes;
- Base management skills preferred (HR, Finance, Logistcis);
- At least four years relevant work experience, preferably including security management;
- Proven capabilities in leadership and team management required;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms
Terms of reference For more information about the position, click here .
- Salary between 2700 and 3100€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 4-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (email@example.com) or below, including the reference: AC Kalémie/RDC
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.