For the past 30 years, international NGO Acted has been going the last mile to save lives. Currently, Acted supports 20 million people across 43 countries to meet their needs in hard-to-reach areas – and pursues a triple mandate as a humanitarian, environmental and development aid actor. Acted relies on an in-depth knowledge of local territories and contexts to develop and implement relevant long-term actions, with a wide range of local and international partners, building together a “3ZERO” world: Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, Zero Poverty
ACTED Central Asia
Acted is committed to the promotion of a 3Zero world of Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty. Acted has been active in Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) since the mid-1990s, helping to address the region’s main challenges and fostering opportunities for sustainable and inclusive development, especially in rural and remote communities. This includes a special focus on Natural Resource Management (NRM) in the context of climate change as well fostering regional cooperation.
STREAM is guided by the principles of do no harm and conflict and gender sensitivity and follows a participatory and inclusive development approach. With support from multiple donors and drawing on Acted’s global flagship approaches (AGORA, GOCA and THRIVE), STREAM is building a strong evidence base to work toward the following overall objective (OO) and specific objectives (SO):
− To contribute to improving the sustainable use of natural water and land resources across all riparian communities (OO1)
− Water efficiency at the local level is improved and competition over resources reduced (SO1)
− Dialogue and cooperation between local authorities and experts at the regional level will be enhanced through mutual trust and transboundary information, platforms and dispute resolution processes (SO2).
In addition, the anticipated results (R) are as follows:
− An in-depth, data driven understanding of resource availability and climate stress is developed and used for regional dialogue (R1)
− Water and other resources’ efficiency is improved by empowering civil society and local authorities to lead evidence based NRM processes (R2)
− Dialogue and cooperation at the community and government level is strengthened by improving operating infrastructure and showcasing results (R3)
You will be in charge of
Acted and its sister organisation, IMPACT Initiatives, launched STREAM, a regional programme that works with communities and stakeholders in all three countries that share the Fergana Valley (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan), to improve the sustainable use of water and land resources in riparian communities in the context of climate change.
Acted is now searching for an experienced coordinator with relevant technical expertise to lead the Programme.
- Programme Planning
- Programme Implementation Follow-up
- Administration and Operational Management of Programme Implementation
- External Relations
- Quality Control
Expected skills and qualifications
- PhD or Master’s level degree in relevant field (water management, civil or water engineering, climate science, development or peace studies, environmental peacebuilding, international relations, anthropology etc.)
- Relevant professional training for the position;
- Professional experience in Central Asia or CIS countries, preferably in the three target countries;
- At least 5 years of experience in the related thematic areas, e.g., NRM or IWRM, land or pasture management, climate change adaptation, infrastructure rehabilitation, local governance, peacebuilding, etc.;
- A track record (minimum two years) of implementing multi-million euro, multi-year, multi-country projects of comparable size and scope with diverse donors; experience with BMZ/KfW, EU and or USAID will be a distinct advantage;
- Experience managing infrastructure projects, especially focused on water and or water accounting, will be an advantage;
- Demonstrated managerial competences and skills, including result-oriented management, strategic planning, human resources and financial management skills; strong experience in steering and mentoring; strong interpersonal, intercultural, networking and communication skills;
- Proven track record in cooperating with a large number of state and non-state stakeholders and in strengthening key local and national partners and sharing capacities;
- Demonstrated knowledge and working relationships with relevant (esp. state) actors will be an advantage;
- Experience conducting and or coordinating large scale research using a range of methods and tools;
- Knowledge of adaptive programming and understanding of key programme principles (do no harm, etc.);
- Excellent in both spoken and written English;
- Working knowledge of Russian is preferred;
- Knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik or Uzbek will be an advantage; knowledge of more than one a distinct advantage.
Terms of reference For more information about the position, click here .
- Salary between 2600 and 2800€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Contribution to a housing allowance of up to 75% of Acted benchmark or accommodation and food provided in Acted guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in Acted HQ, including a 4-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or below, including the reference: STREAM RC/CA
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.