For the past 30 years, international NGO Acted has been going the last mile to save lives. Currently, Acted supports 20 million people across 43 countries to meet their needs in hard-to-reach areas – and pursues a triple mandate as a humanitarian, environmental and development aid actor. Acted relies on an in-depth knowledge of local territories and contexts to develop and implement relevant long-term actions, with a wide range of local and international partners, building together a “3ZERO” world: Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, Zero Poverty
Acted has been present in Afghanistan since 1993, and operates across northern and eastern provinces. Acted delivers lifesaving relief to the displaced communities with cash and in-kind assistance, shelters, and water and sanitation infrastructure, whilst contributing to long-term recovery and development by providing education and skills training, investing in agriculture and livelihoods, and strengthening local governance.
You will be in charge of
The Deputy Country Director supports the Country Director in representing Acted’s interests in the country with government, donors and other key stakeholders. The Deputy Country Director supports building the programme profile in line with regional and global Acted strategy. The Deputy Country Directors supports the teams to achieve programme excellence and ensures the highest levels of accountability.
Positioning and Fund Raising:
- Context analysis: Ensure Acted has an up-to-date understanding of the country’s socio-economic situation, (donor) trends, needs and gaps, and who does what and where (3W);
- Strategy development and roll out: Support in developing and reviewing programme strategies and identifying strategic opportunities for expanding Acted ’s work in the country;
- Networking, positioning and general representation;
- Donor relationship and Proposal development;
- Advocacy: (Co-)produce issue papers, advocacy notes, press releases on relevant humanitarian and development issues;
- Communications: Oversee and ensure timely emission of external communication tools/pieces on pertinent programming, approaches, critical issues etc.;
- Promotion of Acted sisters organisations : Keep abreast with and contribute to Acted’s global initiatives and global trends, in particular Impact (REACH, Agora), Convergences and Oxus, integrate them into the country strategy and make linkages with relevant focal points (HQ/regional/national as relevant).
Management and Internal Coordination:
- Staff Management;
- Internal Coordination;
- Conflict/Crisis Management.
Project Implementation Follow-up:
- Project Implementation Tracking;
- Grant Management: Ensure that contractual obligations are met in terms of deliverables as well as narrative and financial reporting requirements;
- Project Quality Control;
- Partner Management.
- Finance Management;
- Logistics & IT Management;
- Administration and HR Management;
- External Audit Follow-up;
- Transparency/Compliance Management;
- Security Management;
- Legal and Registration Follow-up.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Higher education (Master)
- Writing skills
- At least 3 years of experience abroad in management positions.
- Knowledge of the area is an asset.
- Very strong organizational skills
- Experience in managing large national and international teams
- Experience in project management, particularly with an institutional component
- Experience in community participation, linkage with local authorities
- Management and administrative skills
- Flexibility, adaptability, stress resistance
- Patience and negotiation skills, excellent written and oral communication skills
Terms of reference For more information about the position, click here .
- Salary between 4400 and 4500€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in Acted guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Rest & Recuperation (R&R) every 2 months, flight tickets covered up to $500 and allowance of $200
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in Acted HQ, including a 4-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Join us Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or below, including the reference: DCD Generalist/AFG
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.