Afghanistan : Country Security Manager - Afghanistan
Reference : CSM/AFG/SA
Contract: Fixed term
Duration 6 months
Starting date: ASAP
Background on ACTED
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last kilometer: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. ACTED develops and implements programs that target the most vulnerable amongst populations that have suffered from conflict, natural disaster, or socio-economic hardship. ACTED’s approach looks beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihoods reconstruction and sustainable development.
With a budget of 164 million EUR in 2014, ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
Capital Office: Kabul
On-going Projects: 26
Budget: 15.9 M euros
ACTED continues to build on 17 years of uninterrupted presence in Afghanistan, with 900 staff of whom 98 % are Afghan nationals, dedicated to the people of Afghanistan and to rebuilding their country. ACTED consolidates its work in eight of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces in the north of the country and our beneficiaries, while predominantly from rural, agricultural-based areas, typify the diversity which is Afghanistan, inclusive of different ethnic groups, languages, customs and traditions.
ACTED works with 8% of the population, building sustainable livelihoods in a holistic way in seven Northern provinces. We empower people to secure ownership of and access to resources, and income-earning activities, including building reserves and assets to offset risk, shocks and to meet contingencies and emergencies which have continued to affect the country. The conflict presents challenges, but we continue to deliver emergency and development programs with continued support of communities and the determination of our staff.
ACTED’s program has six objectives: human, social, natural, financial, political and physical capital development.
ACTED works in partnership with NGOs and the government to deliver key national programs. We represent and advocates on behalf of NGOs as an elected member of the MAIL NGO Coordination Unit and the NSP Facilitating Partners Representative Group. The Afghanistan Livelihoods Network (ALN), an initiative of ACTED, fills a gap in the development sector with 90 organizations attending our best practice workshops. We participate in other humanitarian and early recovery coordination mechanisms. We continue to serve as an elected member of the governing bodies of the Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief (ACBAR, which represents 120 member NGOs) and the Human Rights Research and Advocacy Consortium. We also serve as a member of the governing bodies of local organizations.
Sustainable livelihoods security is a long term development strategy. We continue to design and deliver holistic programs which have shown tangible results. As such, our focus is to continue providing communities with the means to identify their own priorities. Programs remain evidence-based and relevant to needs. Inclusion of young people and women is key priorities and we will continue to respond to emergencies if they arise, while continuing to support civil society, improve coordination and increase regional dialogue with neighboring countries.
ACTED is currently looking to fill the Security Manager position for Afghanistan. The successful applicant will play a crucial role in implementing policies and procedures for logistical support to ACTED’s programs in. He/she is the security focal point and manages all aspects of security for ACTED’s. This will include the ongoing monitoring and assessment of security conditions in the region as well as ensuring that all staff understand and follow agreed procedures.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Coordinator, key responsibilities will include:
• Serve as security focal point;
• Ensure all new staff are accurately briefed on security procedures;
• Provide all staff with regular security briefings and updates and ensure that all staff follow security procedures;
• Ensure that ACTED’s security management plans are relevant and constantly updated as appropriate and that all staff know their roles and responsibilities;
• Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in the region;
• Conduct regular security and risk assessments for all operational areas;
• Write regular security management reports with situational analysis and recommendations;
• Ensure that field communications needs are met and that staff are trained in the use of radios and other communications equipment as necessary.
At least 3-5 years of working experience in insecure environments; preferably in Africa, Asia, or the Middle East;
• Extensive experience in security management and procedures;
• Demonstrated communication and organizational skills;
• Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff
• Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure;
• Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing security environments;
• Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basic conditions;
• Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the office;
• Advanced proficiency in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of local language and/or regional experience highly desirable
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance
- Free food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
Submission of applications
Please send, in English, your cover letter, CV, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ref : CSM/AFG/SA
Download the job offer in PDF format
Latest news for Afghanistan
- Communities in northern Afghanistan take the lead in ending open defecation
- Empowering girls in Afghanistan through education: Focus on the Girls’ Education Challenge programme
- Self-Help Groups to support women's livelihoods and empowerment in Northern Afghanistan
- "I want to become a teacher and help other girls"
- Accompanying Afghan girls towards education and empowerment in marginalised areas of Afghanistan
- Emergency distributions in northern Afghanistan for families affected by flooding
- Improving lives with access to water in Afghanistan